SOCIAL MEDIA. We know it, we use it, we love it… most of the time. If you’re reading this, there’s almost an 100% chance that you’re on social media right now. Almost every single person you know has at least one social media account and the number grows each and every day. Don’t believe me? Take a look at some of the statistics provided by backlino.com…
4.48 billion people currently use social media worldwide, and the average social media user engages with an average of 6.6 various social media platforms.
72.3% of the total US population actively use social media, totaling a number of 240 million people
Moral of the story? Posting on and using social media efficiantly is ESSENTIAL in growing your business. I want to share my top ten tips that I have learned over the years that have changed my social media game. Let’s dive into it!!
- JUST START. This may seem a little stupid but hear me out!! Fear of judgement will be your downfall. Stop COMPARING yourself and your content to all of the mega influencers you follow. Every person you see had to start somewhere, and I can promise you that every single one of them looks back at their first posts and cringe too… the difference between you and them is that they didn’t let that hold them back. Releasing that fear and embarrasement you feel will set you free and allow you to explode!! A little bit of discomfort will allow for so much room to grow, you’ve just gotta start.
- STAY CONSISTENT. You’ve heard this so many times before, I know I have but let me be the one to say it again… consistency is key, it really is. Once you start posting, don’t stop! Remember, there is a difference between posting CONSISTENTLY vs. CONSTANTLY. When your followers know that they can always rely on your content, they start to trust you and that is what we’re going for! Consistently means make your posts predictable, so your readers and followers know when to expect something from you.
- MAKE A SCHEDULE (& stick to it) This goes hand in hand with the previous tip. This one tip might just be the most important one in the entire list- important enough that I cold write an entire blog dedicated to just creating a schedule… Lucky for you I already have!!! You can read all the details on how to do this HERE.
- PICK A THEME. Sticking to a theme plays into consistency as well… When people see your posts, they should know it’s you before they even see your name. Staying on theme may look like a few different things: using your brand or logo colors as much as possible, taking photos of similar structure or product design, or even sticking to the same filters. Pick a theme that comes very natural to you and your brand, that way it comes easy for you to uphold.
- USE EVERY PART!! There are many different ways to use every platform, and you should be using ALL of them. Reels, stories, long form videos, grid posts, polls, hashtags, all of it!! This may seem overwhelming, I know… BUT they kind of make it like that on purpose. When you take advantage of every little thing on your social media, this SKYROCKETS you closer towards the top of the algorithim. When you make the algoritim work in your advantage, the amount of people that see and interact with your content increases a TON.
- BE RELATABLE. Circling back to comparing yourself to influencers… DON’T DO IT. People, just like you and me, want to feel heard and seen. Relatable content is one of the most powerful ways to drive up engagement. Hustle + Charm says it best, On their blog, they say this: “figure out who your dream client is. What do they like? Where do they hang out? What is their lifestyle? When would they typically be scrolling their socials? What are they looking for in your business that they haven’t been able to find? What need of theirs do you fulfill? Break down and understand the inner workings of your dream client until you have a full scope of their likes and dislikes. Once you’ve got this in your head (or on paper) you are in a much better position to create relatable content for them.”
When you post content that makes people feel seen, you will attract individuals that are like-minded, just by being yourself. Most importantly, be yourself- as cheesy as that is… create content that YOU love and feel proud of, because when you post content and your heart is in it, it shows.
- WATCH YOUR ANALYTICS. If you haven’t already, switch your accounts to business accounts- that way you can see all the analytics. Hootsuite.com defines social media analytics as follows: “Social media analytics is the collection and analysis of data points that help you measure the performance of your social media accounts. These are the metrics that will help you assess your social media marketing strategy on both macro and micro levels. Besides helping you see how social media is contributing to your larger business goals, they can also help you gauge customer sentiment and spot trends.”
After every post you make, you can go back and check how many people saw it, liked it, skipped it, interacted with it, etc. Knowing these numbers will let you know what content is preforming best. From there, you can tweak and adjust your content to increase follower interaction.
- INTERACT WITH YOUR FOLLOWERS. Speaking of follower interaction, make sure you are making your followers feel heard! Respond to every single comment that you get. Yes you read that right, every comment. Post stories with polls, questions, quizzes, or anything that can intrigue your followers to respond to you as well. By curating your content for people to respond to you, this creates the perfect environment for my next tip…
- BUILD RELATIONSHIPS. On the flip side of interacting with your followers- be sure you’re liking, commenting, responding to stories, and all of those things with the people that you follow as well! By creating conversations with the people on your social media, you are creating the start of what could be a beautiful relationship. The goal is high exposure, right? The more internet friends you make, the more you guys can bounce ideas, tag eachother, and grow your own following by getting to know who follows them as well. A friend of a friend of a friend of a friend is just as important as anybody else.
- POST ON EVERYTHING. Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, YouTube, Twitter, Pinterest, LinkedIn, the list goes on and on. Making sure your content is on theme, consistent, and reliable across every platform will make you unstoppable.
CHEERS to growing on your social media!